Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Dot

Our story this week, well actually last week, is The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds. It's about a little girl, Vashti, who doesn't like to draw. It's a really cute little story and my kids loved it. Her teacher puts her drawing of a dot in a swirly gold fame. This inspires Vashti to make more dot paintings- big dots, little dots, etc. Today we did two art activities. They made a small painting of their own dot and they painted a gold frame. The frames came from Michael's. I saw some that were swirly but they were $4 each. Nah. Couldn't do it. These were cutouts- I think 6 in a pack for a dollar.

Here they are painting their frames with glitter paint- oooh!















 

Some made a dot by NOT painting a dot like Vashti does in the story.



I worked with them in small groups with the painting. My sweet momma helped us today. She comes on Thursdays. While we were painting, the rest of the kids were drawing a picture from a dot. I got this freebie from TPT. Here's the link. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Can-You-SPOT-the-DOT-A-book-art-activity

The idea is to create a picture from the dot. The dot can be anything- an eye, a head. These turned out sooooo cute. My favorites- the duck and the pirate. Can you spot the dot?


     He wasn't quite finished but I snapped a picture anyway.



                                        This is a "caterpillar balloon."





    This duck cracks me up. He looks like he has on sunglasses.



If they finished that (which some of them did), they worked on my comprehension activity which I have on TPT. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Dot-Comprehension-Questions-and-Writing-Station-Reading-Street


It was a pretty good day. They had a lot of fun. We don't have Art or Music anymore so it was nice to see them creating something. I heard, "I'm going to make a dot by not painting a dot, just like Vashti."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace