Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Quilt Story


I am blogging! Woo hoo!

Last week we read The Quilt Story by Tony Johnston and Tomie dePaola. I had never read it before. I had so much I wanted to do with the story and Martin Luther King Jr. and science last week that we didn't get to finish a lot of it. So I decided not to go to the next story.


Today we compared The Quilt Story with Josefina and the Story Quilt. I had the Josefina story in a listening center book but I had never read it. I enjoyed both stories. We did a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting the two books. I had typed up some sentences and they had to sort them. One of my girls glued them on to the appropriate place. I did this out in the hall because I had already made the board. Some of my kids CANNOT pay attention to anything! Most of them did great but a couple of them I just finally sent to another classroom. So distracted! Am I the only one??






So after we finished the sorting activity, I gave them their own to do. This picture shows one of the better ones. They all did pretty well, though. I think it probably helped a lot doing it together first.


Tomorrow we are going to use this great FREEBIE from Step into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons! Here is the link if anyone is interested. I will try to take pictures of the completed product tomorrow if my phone will let me! We also have a lot of Dr. King activities to do this week and finish up the Mammals of the Woods Unit I bought last year and never had time to do. 

 Josefina and the Story Quilt Freebie


On a side note, they took away our sweet tea today!! Child nutrition guideline- but NO children drink it. It's always been only for teachers. I need my tea! Really? First they took away our drink machine but that was a long time ago so I'm over that. But now they're banning the tea? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace